Monday, January 4, 2016

Turkey Meatloaf

Tonight I tried a new recipe for a healthy take on meatloaf.  Usually I like to use the "meatloaf mixture" of ground meat, slather it in tomato paste,  then cover it with bacon. But since we are trying to be healthy this month, I decided to try out a new recipe from Family Circle :
http://www.familycircle.com/recipe/turkey/turkey-meat-loaf/
I have made turkey meatloaf before, and it turned out ok, but this time it was actually really good!

I liked the carrots in the recipe,  but next time I might try grating the carrots instead of chopping.
Also, I like to use a slice of white bread soaked in milk in my meatballs,  but I have never soaked breadcrumbs in milk before.  It was defiantly interesting and reminded me of my own recipe.
Also I was excited to try a new spice - Garam Masala, which I have never used before.  Read more about the spice here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala It reminded me of Chinese 5 spice a little,  but not as overpowering.  I was thinking about cutting the amount in half, but ultimately decided not to, although I did end up cutting the entire recipe in half.
I didn't serve mine with mango chutney, but I could see how it would go. Also instead of Basmati rice I like to use Jasmine and baked at 375 (instead of 350).

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very good and healthy. I prefer Jasmine rice too.

    ReplyDelete