Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Breakfast for Dinner! Slow Cooker Apple Pie Steel-Cut Oatmeal & Maple Blueberry Breakfast Sausage

Most people when they think of oatmeal picture this:
This is what I remember having and never really liked it,  I would prefer Cream of Wheat. This slow cooker oatmeal was different.  First off it is "Apple Pie" oatmeal,  so that right there is awesome!  Next, the use of steel-cut oats is not only healthy,  but much better tasting then instant oatmeal.
The recipe for the Oatmeal is here:
https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/slow-cooker-apple-pie-steel-cut-oatmeal/
I have never tried Almond Milk before either and while I didn't care for a sip of the milk by itself (in comparison to regular milk), I think it's a great idea with the Oatmeal. Same goes for the coconut oil.


I added some vanilla extract to my oatmeal and then I topped it with real maple syrup.
Then to go with the Oatmeal,  I made these delicious Maple Blueberry Breakfast Sausages from Tastykitchen:
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/09/maple-blueberry-breakfast-sausage/
These were so good, I don't think I would change anything,  maybe just a smidgen less red pepper flakes, cause they were kinda spicy, but the sweet blueberries and Maple syrup play well with the spice. This recipe is definitely making it into my favorite recipes, and it is healthy too. I didn't use any oil, just a tiny bit of Cooking Spray with a non-stick skillet.




Usually when we think Breakfast for dinner it's Bacon with Pancakes or French Toast, but this healthy combination was delightful.

1 comment:

  1. Well that's interesting. I know Dad wouldn't go for it for dinner..... He wouldn't be able to find a wine that would go with it! Lol!

    ReplyDelete