Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Turkey Pot Pie with Cranberry-Pecan Crusts


   This truly is one of my new all time favorite recipes that I will be making again year after year.  I would highly recommend making this even with leftover turkey after Thanksgiving;

Here is the recipe; 

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-pot-pie-with-cranberry-pecan-crusts
  (The one change I would make for next time would be to add a little cornstarch to thicken it up a bit)

Start by sauteing the onions in butter.


(I only used a half of a large sweet onion, instead of 2 onions)


*This step is important - I HATE when the onions in any type of casserole or baked dish are not fully cooked, it can basically ruin a dish & make it inedible.




Instead of cubes, I sliced the turkey tenderloin into thin slices, then dredged in flour mixed with my favorite seasoning - Nature's Seasoning.




Then brown in skillet  with mixture of butter & veg. oil.  The oil helps to keep from burning, while the butter adds flavor.



Add Chicken broth:









Add Milk:

Season with Salt & Pepper:
 (This step is not in the original recipe, but I would recommend it)








*At this point I would add a little cornstarch (about 1 TBSP, pre-mixed with either water or chicken broth) to thicken the sauce.

Add the sauteed onions back into pan:
 Add Spinach:
(Ok to use a little less than the recipe calls for)
Pour mixture into greased baking dish:





Bake @ 350, covered with foil, for 30 minutes.






Meanwhile, make the Cranberry-Pecan Crusts:
 http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cranberry-pecan-crusts






Already made piecrusts make this easy to do:

 Just add dried cranberries:


And Toasted* Pecans:











Add 2nd piecrust on top:





 Use cookie cutters to cut into Leaf Shapes:




Bake until golden brown - about 8 minutes @ 425:














Remove Turkey dish from oven & top with leaf crusts:

 


*To Toast Pecans, bake them @ 350 for 5-10 minutes until fragrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment