Monday, November 21, 2016

Pumpkin Puree

    I know everybody says that canned pumpkin is just as good as fresh pumpkin, and that may be so, but I can't help but want to still make my own pureed pumpkin to use this Thanksgiving in many different recipes - not just pumpkin pie.

 I used Alton Brown's recipe for roasting and pureeing the pumpkins:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pumpkin-puree-recipe.html
I have tried other methods, including simmering in a little water, or dicing first then roasting in cubes, but I like this water-less recipe best, cause pumpkin is so watery itself, it seems best not to add any.  Also it is so much easier to make this way and not have to cut up the pumpkin, just scoop it out - it comes right out!

This year I am going to use my puree for:

- Pumpkin Crescent Rolls
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Tiramisu
- and for Breakfast on Thanksgiving:  Baked Pumpkin Cream Cheese French Toast

I was hoping to get about 6 1/2 cups of puree and from the 2 pumpkins I ended up with just shy of 7 cups.

I used Cheese Pumpkin, as I heard these are best for baking.  Not to mention their seeds also taste much better.  I really love this recipe for Spiced Pumpkin Seeds from Martha:
http://www.marthastewart.com/318249/sweet-and-spicy-pumpkin-seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment